Wednesday, April 20, 2011

girly bow holder

When we found out we were having a girl, I immediately got excited at the thought of awesome photos and tons of hair bows! I started searching for some neat ideas for hair bow holders to organize everything in the nursery.  Most of what I found was a bunch of ribbons hanging from something, whether it was a ring or a piece of wood.  I was okay with those, but as usual, I wanted to do something different - something I hadn't really seen before.

As a collector of frames (especially vintage, gorgeous, gold ones), I really wanted to find things to do with some of the frames from my studio.  *light bulb*



tada!! Lainey's new hairbow holder!


What you need:


  • An empty frame
  • Foam core
  • Fabric
  • Ribbons
  • Hot glue gun/sticks
  • Painters tape
  • Staple gun

How to do it:
  1. Spray paint your frame to match your room  
  2. Cut the foam core to fit in your frame
  3. Cover the foam core with your fabric (I used fabric from Lainey's bedding to make sure it all matched)
  4. Hot glue the fabric as tightly as you can on the back of the foam (I acted as though I was upholstering a seat cushion)
  5. Align the ribbons and use painters tape to keep them stuck to the fabric (Luckily, my fabric had something to measure by - I counted every 5 polka dots)
  6. Flip the board back over and glue the ribbons down one side at a time
  7. Place the covered foam into your frame
  8. Staple the foam around the edges to make sure it stays in the frame (I stapled every 6 inches or so)
  9. Clip your bows in
I haven't hung this piece yet, but I am planning to use some wide ribbon and staple it to the top of the frame. Tie a bow then hang it from the ribbon.  This way, I don't have to try and screw anything into the old wood and it will also give me some extra space for bows!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...