Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A special book

Ever since Philip and I started dating, I used to buy cheesy children's books for him.  When we found out we were pregnant, Philip couldn't stop talking about his favorite book from when he was a child, Monkey-Monkey's Trick.  His father used to read it to him when he was little and it is one of the biggest memories he ever talks about.

So, me being a sweet and sentimental sap, thought it would be cute if Acorn gave this book to Daddy for Valentine's Day.  Seems easy enough... away to amazon.com I go.  However, this book is no longer in print!  For a while there wasn't even used copies available.  All I could think about was how much I wanted Philip to have "that moment" with his new child.  Finally, a used copy became available and I quickly jumped at the chance to order it; which means I, of course, paid way more than this paperback book could really be worth, but I didn't care.

Which leads me to this story...
Yesterday, at my doctor's appointment, I got to hear Acorn's little heartbeat.  I didn't know to expect this at the appointment so it was a pleasant surprise!  However, I think when I told Philip, he wished he had been able to hear it again too.  So to make sure he got his own surprise yesterday, me and Acorn gave him the book!! He was so excited and it was wonderful because he said "Oh I can not wait to read this to him!!"  (Philip is convinced this baby is a boy so he refers to Acorn as "he" all the time.)  He then took a picture of it with his phone and sent it to his dad.  His dad's response was "I remember that book. I still have the copy I used to read to you and I can't wait to read it to my grandchild."

So get ready Acorn, Monkey-Monkey's Trick is on your reading list for a very long time!

1 comment:

TheCimburkeFam said...

I am loving reading your posts Linda. Ive been behind so I had to go back and play catch up :) so sentimental about the book, LOVE IT! You must tell me the theme to Miss Lainey's room or colors.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...