Thursday, May 19, 2011

Art to light the room

No wanting to use an additional outlet in Lainey's room - because there aren't a lot in there, and most of them are getting covered with some kind of furniture, I wanted to think of a more creative way to make a night light for her... and me, really.  I would like to see a little bit when I walk into the nursery late at night.  

I thought about this for a while, and finally remembered that I had a vintage bird cage on top of my cabinet in the studio.  There had to be a way to use this in Lainey's bird-filled nursery.

Voila! An idea is born... turn the birdcage into a nightlight, but how??

Here's what I needed:
- Bird cage
- Glass candle holder
- Flameless candles (I chose some with a remote, so I could easily turn them on and off. I got them from Williams  Sonoma.)
- Something to put around the glass to keep it from wiggling too much.  The birds on the cage made it hard to get something to fit flush in there, so I needed to fill the space a little bit.  I chose the floral garland
- Some sort of filler for the glass for the candles to sit down in (I chose coffee beans because they darkened it a little bit and fill the room with a nice smell for now.)
Here's what I did:
- Measured the interior of my birdcage to make sure I got the right size glass
- Set the glass dish into the bird cage
- Wrapped the garland around the glass until I ran out of it
- Poured a bag of coffee beans in there
- Set the candles where I liked them

I haven't decided where I am going to put it in her room yet.  I'd like to hang it somehow, but am also keeping the option of just setting on the bookshelf in the running.  Stay tuned for the full nursery reveal to see where it ends up.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...